Fall 2006 Batch #2, Pine Hill Orchard Redfield blend, D47 yeast
Purchased on 11/04/2006 during
in Franklin County at Pine Hill
Their "Silver Blend" was:
|Specific Gravity (original):||1.052|
|% Sugar (original):||?|
|Potential Alcohol (original):||6.6%|
|Potential Alcohol (after sugar):||~9.9%|
60ppm SO2 (10 Campden tablets, based on 30ppm/gal/tab noted on the bottle)
2 packs of D47 prepared as written on the back of the package (2 oz warm water, let sit for 15 minutes, dump into juice)
2 lb. 3 & 3/8 oz cane sugar
1 lb. 9.5oz Honey from The Shelburne Honey Company
Scant teaspoon of tannin powder.
This year... More SO2 (though still in the low-range). Rack sometime in early spring. Bottle earlier. Add honey in addition to cane sugar. Don't forget to monitor your water locks. Same yeast pitching as last year (as indicated on back of package) rather than the yeast pitching techniques written by Paul and Ben Watson.
11/3/06: Cleaned three carboys with warm water and 1/4 cup bleach for
an hour, rinsed with warm water. Cleaned rubber stoppers and cleaning
brush in sink with bleach solution. Let carboys drain. Put in
stoppers and covered with pastic wrap and rubber bands.
11/4/06: Purchased at Pine Hill Orchard around 10am. This blend (more complex?) in the 350gal tank was 1/2 empty, since doors were opened at 8am. Make sure you don't arrive late. 5-gal carboys carried in milk crates.
11/6/06: Bought four packs of D47 wine yeast from Modern Brewer in Cambridge, $1 each. Crushed 10 (ten) 30ppm campden tabs and dumped into carboy to hit 60ppm. This is twice as much as last year but still in the low range (suggested 50-75ppm). If this screws us we'll go up to 90ppm next year.
11/8/06: Added sugars, yeast, and tannin.
Towels wrapped around necks and plastic wrap loosely on top.
11/9/06-11/12/06: suds snake workin'.
11/14/06: Primary suds snake done. Slapped on a water lock filled with vodka.
3/11/07: Still pretty dark, compared to the #1 blend. Slightly concerned. Might just be a blend thing. Roughly the same color as #3.
4/28/07: Racked off into a clean carboy. Smelled sweeter, less barnyardy than #3. Good taste.
8/19/07: Bottled. Green numbering, asterisks marking carbination. Dawn and I only did this one carboy this weekend. First of the three. New bucket with spigot at the bottom works like a charm. 8 25oz bottles, 6 medium sized, and about a case of 12oz. We primed about half of the batch with sugar.
note: I used bleach on most of the equipment when bottling this one. I switched to the iodine sanitizer for bottling #1 and #3 in September.
back to log